Adult SEO Mistakes – Adult Link Building
In our previous article we talked about the on-site factors that are usually overlooked in adult seo. Now let us talk about the off-site factors aka links. Adult link building has been considered the holy grail of ranking for quite some time. After all, Google, no matter how hard it says that it doesn’t take under account just links for ranking, what is true is the fact that links will always hold an important place in how a site shows up in SERPs. Granted, a couple of years back you could rank any site by just sending tons of links to it. Now adult SEO link building strategies need to follow more rules in order to be successful.
So, let us talk about the things that you need to keep an eye for if you want to truly give your site a chance to rank as high as possible in search results for your chosen keywords.
Anchor Text Ratio
What is this? The percentage of links on certain keywords your site has.
Why is it important? Google likes variation – because a good anchor text ratio shows a natural link profile.
So what does this mean for you and your site?
You need to ask these questions:
- How many links does the URL ranking on #1 for one of the keywords I want to rank on has?
- How many links does the site ranking #1 for one of the keywords I want to rank has?
- What is the power of those links?
- How many links are do-follow?
- How many links are no-follow?
- What is the percentage of naked URL links?
- What is the percentage of brand links?
- What is the link velocity the site has
When you know that, you will have a clear idea of:
- How many links you need to rank on each and every one of the keywords you target
- The power of those links
- How many links should be do-follow and how many should be no-follow
- What percentages of anchors you need to create a link profile that Google likes
Is this a tedious and time consuming process? Definitely! Is it worth it? Absolutely! And here’s why:
A mistake that it commonly made – not only in adult SEO but SEO in general – is that people tend to do things “by ear”. They know “what works” and they do things without a proper competition analysis and keyword research. They just do it and hope it works. That is plain wrong!
Adult SEO is a very particular niche. It allows you to use strategies that would not work in other niches. However, this does not mean you should just do whatever. Especially if it is your site! And if your site is managed by and SEO company, then you need to make sure that you hired specialists and that they truly do the job right.
Knowing what you need to have in terms of links and anchor text in order to rank is key to the whole adult SEO success. So skipping on this step is not a risk worth taking or else you will spend months upon months with no tangible results, and you’d be wasting your time and money.
Now, let’s assume that you already have decent link profile, and you ranked well, but now, things are not looking that good for you, and you can’t figure out why this is happening.
Once you rule out any on-site factors, it’s time to have a look at your links.
Link Profile Cleanup
Adult link building sometimes mean to “un-build” links. And let us be honest, not many people take an interest in their link profiles once they are ranking. If it ain’t broke, no need to fix it, right? True, but what happens if things start to break down? Then you actually have to fix it.
Why Your Link Profile Needs A Cleanup
If your site is rather old – aka 1-2 years old, chances are that your link profile isn’t as squeaky clean as Google would want it to be or some of the links lost their mojo, or the sites you got the links from became spammed to death, or got penalized, and this will hurt your rankings.
Another factor that might negatively affect your link profile is the links that you did not built and that you naturally acquired. It’s just that low reputation sites linked to you or somebody did a link based negative seo attack on your site. In any case, you need to get rid of those links.
So, how to do an adult link building cleanup strategy?
It is rather simple but time consuming. However, the results are truly worth the time and effort you put into it.
Here is the process step by step:
- Download all your links from Google Webmaster Tools
- Download all your links from Ahrefs, Majestic, Semrush, Similarweb, and any other program
- Merge all links, remove duplicates. You are left with your true link profile
- Go through the links and mark the ones that are coming from spammy sources
- Disavow the links
There you go, this is how you clean up your link profile in 5 simple steps. This should be a part of any adult link building strategy as sometimes, you get links that you don’t want to your site.
The Dangers Of Link Profile Cleanup
There are dangers in removing the links. The biggest one being the removal of links that actually help your site rank. The recommendation is to leave this to an adult SEO specialist.
Additionally, when you cleanup your link profile you might actually un-balance your anchor text ratio. So, you need to take that under account as well. This is why, after you clean up your link profile, you need to start an additional adult link building campaign that will update your anchor text ratios to make your site shiny and fresh for Google.
This brings us to the next and final part of this article, and that is new link acquisition
Adult Link Building Strategy for New Link Acquisition
Regardless of the fact that you have a new site or an old site, Google likes to see sites getting links regularly. A site not getting new links now and then tells Google that the site isn’t that interesting, and this can lead to losing rank.
This part of the article will take under account two scenarios: new site and old site (including an old site that underwent a link profile cleanup). So, let us get started.
Adult Link Building for a New Site
A new site is a lot more fragile than an old site because, building too many links too fast can lead to delays in ranking, but building too little links too slow can lead to the same thing. So, you need to find a balance.
So, how do you find the balance?
The first thing that you need to do is to look at your competitors and what they have done. It is needless to say that your competitors might not have the most fresh and updated link profile, and might rank with some shady links. However, this does not mean that they do not provide tons of information that you can use to devise a good adult link building strategy.
Your competitors link profile will tell you:
- Where to get good links in your niche
- How strong the links need to be in order for you to rank
- What anchor text ratio you need to have
- What link velocity worked for them and you should mimic
- What they missed and how you can improve so you get on top faster
This is a long process but again, it’s worth it. Competition analysis done right is key to ranking fast and safe.
In the adult niche there is however a problem. Most rankings are achieved through a mix of visible and “hidden links”. By hidden links we mean links that are only visible to Google and to the site owner only. Basically, Moz, Majestic, Semrush, SimilarWeb and other similar tools will not see them. Why? Because they are coming from well-built PBNs and a good PBN will always block all crawlers expect for Google’s crawler – this is how they stay safe and truly private.
So, while your competition analysis will tell you the adult link building strategies to rank, it will not be complete. We cannot start to count the number of times we analyzed link profiles of sites ranking high and we could not explain how those sites keep such strong rankings with only the visible links. Of course, experience taught us that if a site has a link profile that looks like it’s unable to rank, the secret are hidden links, aka links from PBNs.
What can you do in this case?
There are two options:
- Invest in developing your own PBN
- Buy really good adult PBN links for your site
Getting back to the right way to build adult links, as this is not an article that tries to sell you on anything but give you valuable tips and information, here’s what you need to do.
The blueprint of adult link building for a new site
Follow the steps below as we found them offering the best results:
- Write down the general link velocity of your competitor sites and come up with an average speed and numbers of links per month
- From the number of links per month, calculate the anchor text ratio
- Choose the most powerful links (from your competitors + other niche related sources + PBNs) to get links from keyword anchor text and the weakest ones to get links on naked and brand names
- Devise a monthly link building strategy for 3 months and each month get ready to switch between good sites and keyword anchor text to weak sites and keyword anchor text if needed (constantly check your rankings meanwhile on the keywords you want to rank on)
- Repeat every 3 months updating your link building strategy as needed
Adult Link Building for an Old Site
Since we already covered the basics in the part about building links for a new site here is where the differences come into play.
There are two scenarios: your links are already based on a thorough competition analysis and you need to get new links or…not. So let’s talk about both cases
You already did adult link building based on competition analysis
In this case you will need to diversify a your link profile and give it some new juice.
Recommended actions in this case:
- Get good quality adult PBN links for and send 50% of them on naked/brand URL and 50% on the keywords that you want to rank better on
- Drip feed the links over 2 weeks
- Asses result and repeat tweaking as needed
You did not do adult link building based on competition analysis
Use the link building strategies that were underlined in the “build links to a new site” section above.
Of course, first check if you have links from the same domains as your competitors.
Do not create links on those domains. You can create additional ones should in a period of 3 months you do not get the expected results.
Wrapping up adult SEO top errors series
We hope that this 2 part article series on adult SEO top errors was helpful. It was a long read and thank you for making it this far. Remember that we are here for you if you need any help and/or do not have the time to do things yourself.
We’re just one click away so contact us today if you would like us to help you rank your site with top of the line adult seo tactics and strategies!